The National Identification Card, issued by the National Identification Authority (Nida), will be a key document in the processing of issuing the new passports
Procedures for application of the new passports through Embassies are as follows:
- All new passports will be issued at the Immigration Department Headquarters in Dar es Salaam and in Zanzibar.
- The application for a new passport should be submitted at the Embassy by the applicant him/herself. The Embassy has been delegated to process all applications from holders of the old authentic Tanzanian passports.
- The Embassy will then send the completed application forms, relevant documents and passport fee to the Immigration Headquarters for the issuance of new passports. The Immigration Headquarters will then send the new passports to the relevant applicants through the Embassy.
- Passport fee: The application forms costs 10US$ each and the passport fee is 40US$. Therefore the total cost for a new passport is 50 US$. Applicants in Japan are required to pay in Japanese Yen, which is equivalent to 50 US$. Fee varies depending on the rate. It should be noted that the applicant would be required to re-pay for any replacement of the application form. So accuracy should be observed during the process of filling the forms.
- Application forms: The application forms are available at the Chancery. You are advised to visit the Embassy Homepage to download the form, study and understand the contents and prepare all the necessary information. The original application form will be issued by the Passport Officer during the meeting with him/her.
The applicant is required to submit 5 passport size photos with a light blue background. The recommended size is 4.5cm ~ 4.0 cm.
The applicant is also required to submit his/her previous passport for verification, together with copies of page 1 - 4, last page that shows the Dossier Number, the page with visa/permit and a copy of a his/her resident permit.
Other documents to be submitted are indicated on the application form. Please submit them if you didn't submit during the application of your previous passport.
The applicant will be allowed to retain his/her previous passport during the processing of the new passport. However, he/she will be asked to submit it to the Embassy through registered mail for cancellation when the new passport arrives. The Embassy will then send the new and the cancelled passport to the bearer.