The National Identification Card, issued by the National Identification Authority (Nida), will be a key document in the processing of issuing the new passports
E-passport also is known as a biometric passport, is a traditional passport that has a microchip that contains a person’s identity details and information as required by all border control authorities.
From January 31st, 2018, The government of Tanzania under the Ministry of Home Affairs Immigration Department, mainly issues three (3) types of e-passports to its citizens which are Ordinary, Service, and Diplomatic passports.
Documents required for Tanzania e-passport application:-
Documents required for new electronic passport ‘e-passport’ application normally varies depending on your circumstance, an Immigration officer will instruct you on what to submit to support the application. In generally you will be required to submit;
1) Applicant birth certificate (to be uploaded online).
2) A Birth Certificate or Affidavit of one of the Applicant’s parent.
3) National Identity Card from NIDA. (All Adults above 18 years old must have a valid Tanzanian National Identity Card which is issued by NIDA)
4) A passport size photo (to be uploaded online).
5) Original and Copies of the Old passport(s) ID page (If you had a passport previously).
6) An application fee 20,000/- TZS and 130,000/- TZS fee for an ordinary passport. (Total costs 150,000/- TZS).
7) A letter from a local government to prove your residence (to be uploaded online).
8) An invitation letter for a visa application might be required if you are planning to travel to visa-required countries for Tanzanians.
9) An introduction letter from your employer (if employed) or Documents related to your business such as Certificate of Incorporation or Certificate of Registration, Extract from Registrar, Business License, TIN certificate, etc. (If self-employed).
10) A Passport application letter, it is a cover letter that briefly the reason(s) of why you are applying for a new passport.
11) Other additional documents might be requested by a migration officer based on your circumstances, such as Academics certificates or any other.
Guideline on how to fill out the New Online application form;
1) For new Applicants should visit here and fill out the required information correctly.
2) Keep your Reference ID that was provided safely for future use then click continue, (N.B: Reference ID can be used to resume your application form).
3) Start to fill out all the required personal details correctly on the Passport application form.
5) Fill out the information about your travel plans. Some countries, visa us required. You can check here if you will need a visa before you travel.
5) Fill out the information about your previous passport (In case you had a passport).
6) Fill out all other required information on your application form.
7) Attach all required documents (based on instructions).
8) Carefully review all your information, if they are all correct then click to ‘Agree’
9) You will be required to Pay 20,000 TZS application fee after receiving Control Number for payment (Please make payments on time, control no. will expire and you will be required to start a new application again)
10) After making payment, you will be able to download and print the passport application form that has been generated online. then you will have to submit it in person at any nearby Immigration Department together with all required documents (based on your circumstances).
NOTE: Applicants MUST appear in person for digital photo and biometrics capture.
Processing time for Tanzania e-passport:
In general, the processing time depends on various factors such as the nature of the application and no. of applications received by Immigration departments but normally your passport can be issued within 2 weeks after successful application.
You can review the status of your passport application here, You will be required to fill out your Application ID and Phone number.
Any further information or support, please contact directly an Immigration department via email: email@example.comProcedures for application of the new passports through Embassies are as follows:
- All new passports will be issued at the Immigration Department Headquarters in Dar es Salaam and in Zanzibar.
- The application for a new passport should be submitted at the Embassy by the applicant him/herself. The Embassy has been delegated to process all applications from holders of the old authentic Tanzanian passports.
- The Embassy will then send the completed application forms, relevant documents and passport fee to the Immigration Headquarters for the issuance of new passports. The Immigration Headquarters will then send the new passports to the relevant applicants through the Embassy.
- Passport fee: The application forms costs 10US$ each and the passport fee is 40US$. Therefore the total cost for a new passport is 50 US$. Applicants in Japan are required to pay in Japanese Yen, which is equivalent to 50 US$. Fee varies depending on the rate. It should be noted that the applicant would be required to re-pay for any replacement of the application form. So accuracy should be observed during the process of filling the forms.
- Application forms: The application forms are available at the Chancery. You are advised to visit the Embassy Homepage to download the form, study and understand the contents and prepare all the necessary information. The original application form will be issued by the Passport Officer during the meeting with him/her.
The applicant is required to submit 5 passport size photos with a light blue background. The recommended size is 4.5cm ~ 4.0 cm.
The applicant is also required to submit his/her previous passport for verification, together with copies of page 1 - 4, last page that shows the Dossier Number, the page with visa/permit and a copy of a his/her resident permit.
Other documents to be submitted are indicated on the application form. Please submit them if you didn't submit during the application of your previous passport.
The applicant will be allowed to retain his/her previous passport during the processing of the new passport. However, he/she will be asked to submit it to the Embassy through registered mail for cancellation when the new passport arrives. The Embassy will then send the new and the cancelled passport to the bearer.